Sunday, March 07, 2010

The Classics Revisited...North By Northwest




























I'm on a mission, a mission to actually be entertained by a movie. Has anyone else noticed the poor quality of the recently released music, books, movies, etc.? It seems like everything is just half-done or it's just a repeat of everything else that is already out there. Not only is it pathetic, it's also boring and I hate to be bored.
I was talking to Mom the other day and she mentioned something about Alfred Hitchcock and how great his movies were back in the day. I've seen a lot of his movies (seriously, how could I avoid it with having a mother like Trenia), but it's been awhile since I've actually watched one. North by Northwest was one that I had actually never seen so I added it to my trusty Blockbuster account and waited impatiently for it to arrive.
Ok, yes the story is somewhat cheesy but you have to remember that things were a little bit simpler in 1959. The special effects were down right amazing/awful. My favorite parts were when you could tell that the people were standing still and the screens behind them were moving. Sure, by today's standards this movie is crap, but if you take it for what it is and remember that it was made 5 decades ago, it's actually pretty good and highly entertaining. Plus, Cary Grant is the star and did he ever do anything that was bad? I don't thing so.

Forget James Cameron, I love me some Hitchcock.

No comments: