Thursday, December 31, 2009

I Spit on New Year's Resolutions

I stopped making New Year's resolutions a few years ago because I always broke them before the first day of spring. My resolutions usually started something like, "In *insert year*, I'm going to lose 20 pounds/workout more/get into a smaller size." Yes, they always revolved around my weight or workout habits. I never made resolutions about my personal character or about the fact that I was a heinous bitch who most people tried to avoid. Yes, I admit it, I was a mean and very unhappy person.
The point is that I never tried to change the things that really mattered. I think that I finally realized this in 2006 so I promised myself that I would just stop making resolutions. I knew that I had to make some changes, but I didn't sit down and make out a list of all of my bad traits that needed to disappear. I just promised myself that I would try to be a better person, plain and simple. Over the past 3 years, I have changed. I'm a lot happier and Ienjoy life more;however, I'm still kind of bitchy at times but I don't set out to actually hurt people or make them feel bad about themselves. The most important thing that has changed about me is that I'm more aware of how my actions and attitude affect other people. I've learned how something as simple as a careless frown can cause another person to be unhappy or worried if they've done something to upset me. Unfortunately, our culture teaches us to only worry about ourselves and not worry about our neighbors. The past few years have taught me that this outlook is not only wrong but extremely sad. Relationships are a key component of our happiness and overall self-worth, so isn't it only fair to be concerned with the well-being those who are so important in shaping our lives? Well, I think so but everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion....even if they're wrong :)

I have an interesting story that only emphasizes the point that I'm trying to make but I'm running out of time here. It happened during my drive yesterday and I'm still kind of upset but I need to actually do some work so I'll write about it later.

Happiness and health to everyone in the new year.

(as a side note, I've learned that by changing who I am on the inside, my outer self has also changed. I have lost that 20 pounds and gone down a few sizes but I haven't dieted one single day. I just adopted a healthier lifestyle both mentally and physically. It's amazing how things just work themselves out)

No comments: