Sunday, December 06, 2009

Deck the Halls With...Cookies?

I've been bitten by the Christmas Cookie Bug. Yes, that's right...Cookie Bug. I've been scouring my favorite recipe websites for cookie recipes and then running to Wegmans and buying those few crazy ingredients that I don't already have in my well-stocked kitchen (I can't believe that I didn't already have ground ginger...isn't that an essential part of every kitchen...ha!). I have recipes for 3 different thumbprint cookies, two different sugar cookies with 3 different types of icing, gingerbread men, chocolate chip, truffles, etc. It's actually starting to get a little overpowering. The funny thing is that I'm not really eating any of the cookies. Yes, I'll taste them to make sure that they don't taste like poo but otherwise I either give them away or sneak them to Mr. Wendell. Yes, I know that sugar isn't good for dogs but it's Christmas and they need sugary love too. don't judge. I'm bound and determined to get in shape and sugary cookie deliciousness isn't really part of my eating and workout regimen. Maybe when I get down to that size 2, I'll start eating cookies again. Kidding, kidding I know that the only way that I could ever be a size 2 is if I cut my body in half.
Ok, on to the actual story. Yesterday I was in the grocery store looking for cookie cutters and I found this huge rack with pretty much every kind of cookie cutter that I could ever dream of. Candy canes, santas, reindeer, holly, stockings, gingerbread houses, stars, etc. I grabbed a star because I thought that would be a good cookie to give to everyone and I wouldn't actually have to put a lot of effort into decorating it. I had my dough prepared and rolled out (f.y.i. I use a wine bottle as a rolling pin because I'm too cheap to invest in an actual rolling pin and a wine bottle works great!) when I noticed that my star looked a little funny. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it wasn't just any ordinary star but it was the Star of David. Apparently, I was making Jewish cookies. There's only one tiny problem....I'm not Jewish. Now I have to go buy another cookie cutter, and because I've used this one already, I can't return it. Do you know how much this pains me? There's $3 wasted on something that I can't really use that often. I could have used that $3 to feed my coffee additction or to buy more Sharpies (don't even get me started on my Sharpie love).
I also broke out ye olde Christmas decorations last night. My Christmas tree looks quite pathetic. The old roommates and I bought it 2 years ago at Big Lots and it kind of reminds me of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. You know what I'm talking about. I also caught Wendell eyeing it so I'm sure that when I get home, the whole bottom half will be ripped off and Wendell will have a silver snowflake hanging from his guilty little mouth. That dog is pure evil...pure evil. I think that the best part of all of my decorations is the Yule Log. The Yule Log is a DVD that Amanda and I found at Big Lots. All that it plays is a fireplace scene with Christmas music in the background. It's a piece of tacky fabulousness that I will mourn when it finally wears out. The best thing about it is that most of the music is instrumental. I'm really starting to despise Christmas music with words because most people who sing these songs butcher them. There is nothing worse than a no-talent pop singer destroying Silent Night. It physically hurts me to listen it.

Ok I'm off to go buy some UGG boots so that I can tuck my leggings into them. I'm embracing the Buffalo tackiness. If you can't beat them, join them, right?

No comments: