Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Favorite...


For those of you who went to Karns High School and took AP English, you'll probably remember Mona Bev's fascination/obsession with good ole William Faulkner. If you were like me, you probably hated his page-long sentences and ridiculous plot lines. It wasn't until recently that I re-discovered good ole Willy and finally understood what Mona Bev was talking about when she would go on for class periods about his "genius."

Right now I'm reading a collection of his short stories and I just had to share a part from A Rose for Emily. I truly think this is one of the best short stories of all time


Taken from A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner


"Then we noticed that in the second pillow was the indentation of a head. One of us lifted something from it, and leaning forward, that faint and invisible dust dry and acrid in the nostrils, we saw a long strand of iron-gray hair."



This is the best ending to a story...ever.

No comments: