Monday, February 15, 2010

I Just Got a Cool New Pocket Protector

Most people who talk to me for more than 10 minutes figure out that I spend most of my day with my iPod earbuds stuck in my ears listening to podcasts. Yes, I said podcasts. I used to listen to music and there for awhile I was on a huge bluegrass kick...those were good times. Anyway, mid December I started to get sick of listening to music so I broadened my scope to podcasts. I started off with the usual NPR ones but I also discovered my new BFFs at HowStuffWorks.com. My favorite podcast is Stuff You Should Know but all of the other ones are really, really good too. Sometimes I forget that I don't personally know the hosts of those podcasts and I convince myself that we're all going to go out to dinner and have spaghetti and witty conversation. Sigh, I'm a freak.
So...I was at the gym this morning and I decided to stray away from Josh and Chuck (Stuff You Should Know) and catch up on my NPR Science Friday. Ok, this is where the true nerdfest begins so you might want to get your mocking caps on. Last Friday one of the topics was a frog that produces different mating calls underwater. Yes, I said "mating calls underwater." The thing that I think is more disturbing than me listening to 30 minutes of frog love is the fact that I enjoyed every second of it and made a point to look into this research at a later time. The next topic was on HeLa cells (OMG cancer research, what?!?!?!), and now I'm getting all giddy because they're interviewing THE JANE GOODALL. I'm about to have a major nerdgasm and I'm going to relish ever second of it. It's times like this when I realize what a freak I truly am. Please forgive me, but if you love me, you'll buy me the book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and you'll also buy me tickets to see Jane Goodall speak.

No comments: