Friday night I was snooping around the Barnes and Noble near my apartment (it's about a mile from my front door!!!!) and I found a book that was dedicated to "discovering western new york." It has a description of pretty much every city/town/village in WNY with things to do in each of these places. Since I'm going to spend the next year here and I won't have school to distract me, I bought the book and decided to spend my weekends exploring. Yesterday was dedicated to Clarence, Akron, and the small surrounding areas. Around 10am I loaded Wendell into the trusty Rodeo and we set out (well, after a quick stop at Starbucks). First we stopped by the Williamsville Farmer's Market to pick up some lettuce. I got 3 heads of lettuce (they were pretty big) and a bunch of radishes for $4. Ohmygoshthatwas freakingamazing! Have I mentioned how much I love going to Farmer's Markets? I have to say that the market in Williamsville is my favorite so far. There was a larger variety of "stuff," the people were nicer/prettyier, and there was music. Wendell really enjoyed himself too. There were lots of people who were amazed to see a Scotty and of course they just had to pet the cute little dog. However, there was this one guy who told me that I needed to get my dog groomed. Eff him. Wendell looks a little shaggy but he's clean and I'll get him groomed when I feel like it. Of course I ddint' say that, I just smiled my "I hope you die in a painful car crash" smile and moved on.
I have to say that yesterday was one of the most enjoyable days that I've had in a long time. Once I hit Clarence, I almost felt like this big ball of tension just dissolved out of my chest. There were farms and lots of GREEN plants/grass/trees. I miss seeing acres of unmarked land. Ah, I'm feeling a little homesick. I was planning to get to Akron and turn around but once I got there, I just kept going. I think that I ended up in Darien. I'm not sure. I just turned when I felt like it. I'm sure glad I did because I ended up at this amazing greenhouse and I bought 6 plants for $17.50! And these were cool plants, like plants you don't find at Home Depot.
Don't "cigar plant" and "licorice plant" just sound like little bits of amazing-ness? Yeah, I thought so too. I'll probably kill them before the week is over but I don't care. I had fun putting them in pots and making my deck look homey. You can't really get the full view of all the plants that I bought in the picture to the right but doesn't Wendell look adorable as he's about to destroy those plants? Yeah, he's just that precious.
I'm totally in love with my apartment. It's the first place that is totally mine. Yes, I wish I had a money pot so I could decorate it any way that I wanted but I'm ok with how it is...for now. I'm thinking a trip to IKEA is in order. Maybe next weekend? We'll see.
After my plant-o-rama, I decided to head back to the Buff but not before making a stop at Akron Falls Park. Yesterday was perfect for a trip to the park. It was kind of overcast so there weren't a lot of people there. I let Wendell off his leash (shhhh, don't tell) and he had a ball. He was chasing all sorts of things (birds, leaves, water, air, etc.). The little demon ended up in the middle of the creek and I was terrified that he'd get swept away. I could just see myself jumping in after him and ending up with hepatitis or something.
The park was also full of neat little surprises like a bridge full of cool graffiti and really old playground equipment. I'm kind of obsessed old swingsets, you know, the swingsets that are made of metal and would probably give you tetanus if you cut yourself. They are just so much more fun than the plastic crap that they make for kids today. Plus, adults can still swing on the metal ones....yeah, I took a few swings yesterday. They also had the baby swings but they were still metal and scary looking. It's the simple things that make me happy....
The rest of my adventure wasn't very interesting. I drove back to Buffalo and went to the grocery store. I did find some freakin' huge strawberries but that's about it.
on a different note, I'm almost finished with the book that I've been reading on and off for over a year now. i'll probably dance a little dance of joy when I finally finish it. man, i'm really slipping into a pit of un-coolness. i need to get out more.
2 comments:
That's all nice and good, but POST PICTURES OF YOUR APARTMENT!
No, that sounds fun. I wish it could have been a Taramy adventure.
I will once I get my walls decorated. I'm going to IKEA this weekend so hopefully they'll be up next week
Post a Comment